View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM
elnan

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
After 2 days of stress got the Kenmore machine off the cabinet to find the model 158.9411 s # 0074216.
Have no manual . Can't get it to do anything but straight stitch so far. Also the mechanism under cabinet has big spring but think it is not set right and don't know how to use it. Know I sound dense but I am more familiar with
my old black Singers.
Check that model number again to make sure you didn't transpose some numbers. The Sears Archives does not have any number anywhere near that in the 158 series. You don't need the serial number, just the first four numbers after the period. If it truely is a 158.9411, then it is a 9411. The only reference to one that I find is your post here. Have you taken the top off and oiled everything that moves?, the same with the plate underneath. That would not be much different than maintaining your old black Singers.

I don't know what you mean by big spring under the cabinet. Could it be the lift to elevate the machine head when setting it up from the closed position, or is it part of a knee operated controller?

I believe what you have is a Kenmore 158.19412 or a model 1941, and I think it is a high shank foot.

Last edited by elnan; 06-11-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: more info