View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Bree123

Love this thread! I, too, have started searching for a new sewing machine & am considering Bernina, Pfaff & Janome. Bernina's have the stitch regulator & have/have a retrofit for a knee lift on even their pretty old models (210, 215, 330). They sew slightly faster than Janome & tend to come with more feet.

Janome's (the one I researched the most was the Magnolia 730, but I also looked at other low-mid range models) have a larger harp & potential for wider stitch width (which is good if you do satin or zig-zag stitching but otherwise doesn't matter with quilting). They have Dual Upper Feed (like putting on a walking foot, but with any foot you use) & an extra high presser foot. The bobbins load from the top on the models I looked at, but at least the bobbin cover was clear. Also, the Janome's I've looked at are REALLY quiet compared to other brands. Between that & the extra 3" of throat space, I'm struggling to make the decision since Bernina's have such a great warranty and reputation.

It's interesting you mentioned the Bernina 210. That's actually the machine that Leah Day uses for piecing.