View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 AM
Rodney

I wouldn't pay $200. I've seen them cheaper too. What the others say about the plastic gears and cam stacks is dead on. Unlike metal, plastic seems to have a shelf life and the 40 year old machines are at the end of the usable span. Parts aren't available any more for a lot of them either. I avoid electronic machines because I know I can't work on them.

I have two machines sitting with broken plastic gears. They just haven't been a priority to fix. It's a problem with all brands of machines that use plastic parts. Yellowing of the plastic bodies on older machines is an issue too. I prefer all metal for these reasons.

The Touch & Sew series started using plastic gears somewhere around model #620. The 600 and 603 machines have metal gears. Personally I like the Touch & Sews. They're descended from the 400 and 500 series slant needle machines. Most of the differences are in the bobbin area. The biggest thing with Touch & Sews is they're not real easy to use. You need the owner's manual to get the most out of them.
Rodney