Old 08-28-2015, 10:43 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
Has anyone found that this gums up their machine at all? Someone wrote in a little while ago that her serviceman said it was not good for machines.
That serviceman has had no experience with Washable Glue. It can't gum up the needle if it is dry.

The iron is only used to dry it more quickly. If you let one side sit overnight, it will dry just fine.

I start by pinning the center lines of the top, bat and back together. Then I pull the top piece (whichever is on top now), way back to the center pins. I dilute the glue about half and half. Turn the bottle upside down and squeeze out the glue while moving very quickly over the batt, back and forth in about one fourth of that section of the quilt which you can see. I take my fingers and go over those lines of glue to make them thinner. That leaves no big globs. Now I squeeze glue on the second fourth, the other fourth that is next to the center line. When that glue is spread a little with my fingers, I pull the top piece down over the batt, smoothing with my hands. Now tip that top piece back as far as it is already glued and spread glue on the third fourth, and then the last fourth. Pull the top all the way down and smooth.

Now turn the quilt around (or move to the other side. Large tables at church, library, town hall etc. are good for this if you can't do it on the floor.) Fold that side back to the center and continue as before. If you are in a hurry, you can iron these pieces dry. I would iron the first piece from the center to half way to the end the first time, two quarters at a time, and iron the next two quarters after you complete them both. Actually, these are eighths of the entire quilt, as we're working with half of the quilt at a time.

Turn the whole thing over and repeat this process.

When everything is dry, you can free motion on your domestic machine. The whole thing handles like one piece of fabric.

One more thing: Before I start the quilting, I stabilize the outside edges. With a lot of pressure on the glued ends, they can come apart. The last queen size quilt I made, I put the binding on before I started the quilting. Worked great!

Well, this turned out to be a mini tutorial, but I hope it helped someone.