Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 AM
citruscountyquilter

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have tried this, but squeezing the bottle really hurts my hands. Its fine at first, but not too far in the process I have to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do what do you do?
I find that if I dilute the glue with some water (roughly 1 part water to 3 parts glue) it streams out of the bottle much better. I also hold the glue bottle 6-8" above my work surface and get the glue coming out in a thin stream and then go quickly. One squeeze usually goes a long way. The glue will bead a bit and not be a continuous line at points on the batting but that is fine as it will stick just fine in the end. Trying to squeeze the bottle and drag along the batting was hard for me as well as using the glue full strength.
I would caution about diluting it too much and doing it this way as the glue will seep through the batting and may not stick as well.
To me the method of rolling it on with a paint roller or putting it on with a sponge brush seems messy and you don't need to cover the whole surface anymore than you thread baste or pin baste the whole surface.
Think of glue basting as an alternative to thread or pin basting and not spray basting.