View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

My recommendation is to go to a local thrift shop and invest in a couple of used sheets (do not need to be white or even a solid color; any two sheets will do). Where I am, these sheets cost $2 or $3 each. Use batting that you are comfortable with. I started out with Warm and Natural. Load it onto your frame and just start free-motion quilting. I tried out meandering but found that simple loops were easiest for me and looked pretty good. Practicing like this helps you determine spacing and speed. Having the sheets to experiment with allows you to change one thing at a time until you find a thread/speed/pattern combo that works well for you. I had some experience quilting on a domestic machine, so it didn't take me too long to get fairly even stitches (even without a stitch regulator). Honestly, it may turn out to be a lot easier than you expect! The small investment in a couple of old sheets and a batting, and some thread, are well worth it. These things cost much, much less than your investment in the machine and frame but yield big results in terms of how you utilize the machine.

Edit: p.s. You can later cut your test sheet sandwich into pieces suitable for animal shelters. Just serge or zigzag the edges. Be sure to call first to learn what size(s) the shelter wants.