View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 AM
grammatjr

Default stamped marking on vintage quilt

A friend has asked if I can finish a quilt begun by a grandma, who is now deceased. Not sure how long ago grandma died, so don't know how long the quilt has been sitting around.

She used pre-stamped quilt block panels and cross stitched and embroidered over.
Two problems: 1- she didn't stay on the lines always, 2- she didn't cut the blocks correctly, so info that should have been within the seam is visible. See pic.

I tried a simple wetting down of a small spot to see if it would come out, and it didn't seem to effect it. So, if I am completely unable to get the blue marks out, I am hoping perhaps I may get some suggestions how to best finish it.

Since it is unfinished, I cannot soak the parts that are pre-stamped, to see if more water would dissolve it or not.
But, assuming the blue doesn't come out, I think I would need to add another layer of sashing around the blocks to hide that. But, what color as she already has pink, burgundy and light blue borders? And what about the other places that the blue shows (mid block or border)?

As you can tell, it is a beautiful quilt, and it would be wonderful for them to have grandma's last quilt finished!
Attached Thumbnails smalldsc04757.jpg   smalldsc04759.jpg   smalldsc04755.jpg