View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 PM
petthefabric

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
You might want to try different threads on your machine to find out which one gives you the least trouble with tension and breakage, then stock up on that thread. I have used A&E Perma Core, Tex 30, in my Gammill since I purchased it 15 years ago. It comes in many, many colors. I purchase online from several different places including Kingsmen Quilting Supply, The Quilted Rose and Nustyle at Stover, MO.
A&E Permacore is what I've used for a long time. I like tex 40, but 30 works too. (Tex is the strength of the thread, it is not the same as the weight.) There are 250+ color choices. This is important for me... Most companies carry all the neutrals, which is maybe 30 colors, it's finding the ones that match or will work with your quilt. So if a line of thread has say 50 colors, that's the same 25 that everyone else has and 20 more. No one location carries all the colors. Thanks for the list of sources.

Omni and Bottom Line (Superior Threads) also work

My machine will break threads with a Tex below 28, so Glide doesn't work. Check your machine for breaking.

One important issue for longarm machines; because they stitch FAST, they make a lot of lint which interferes with the machine making proper stitchs. So, I'm careful to stick with threads that have the lowest lint. Some cones I've moved from LA usage to domestic machine usage. I've had the same problem with machine embroidery.