View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
thelazyquilter

I would avoid the toys. If it weighs nothing that means there is nothing inside of it. Although I like the Jem and hello kitty 3/4, they are meant for travel and classes. They are not full size machines. If you granddaughter really loves to sew then buy something that will last her through college. Avoid places like target and walmart. Buy from a dealer, someone who can get her parts in the future. I have a few suggestions. Elna’s Sew Green is a nice sturdy full size machine and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg. I also like the full size hello kitty by Janome. These two model have full castings inside of them which means they will not warp over time. They are also serviceable meaning if something does go wrong its worth it to fix and the repair person doesn’t have to worry about parts breaking easily. As a repair technician I see these problems in machines all of the time. Machines without full metal castings rely on the plastic cases to keep them in line. You’ll be spending between 150 to $250 but its very worth it even if all she does is alter her cloths with it. Give her a machine that constantly breaks and she’ll never sew.