Thread: Dumplings
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM
sharin'Sharon

Well, my recipe has EGGS, and LOTS of them. Eggs and flour only. For my family, I beat up a dozen eggs and slowly add ONLY ENOUGH flour to make a loose, sticky dough (so that the dough will fall off the spoon with no struggle but not fall apart when dropping them into the broth). Using a WOODEN spoon, dip the spoon into your broth FIRST, then fill the spoon with dough and drop into the boiling broth. Dip spoon into broth EACH time so that the dough falls off the spoon easily. I don't add salt to them because usually we reserve the water from boiling a ham for our broth, throw in the ham bone to 'cook' off the excess ham and then I add a couple quartered potatoes cuz I don't like the dumplings like they do, and a small diced onion. When the potatoes are cooked, remove the ham bone and add more diced ham if you like, dump a jar or can of green beans (juice & all) into the broth, then drop in the dumplings. After they cook a bit, you can stir or turn the dumplings over and allow them to steam (covered) for a bit to cook them through and TA DA, you have a good ham 'n dumpling soup. You can season to your liking. My hubby's grandmother started doing this in the 1930's and family has passed this on in the family since. Let me know what you think (our 13 yo granddaughter has recently learned to make them because she LOVES the dumplings).