Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Grant I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Tri Flows web site touts their clear grease as a non melting grease and in this particular application that's exactly what you DO want. The grease in a potted motor has to melt to be wicked up to the gear it's supposed to protect.

Cari
Thank you for bringing that up Cari. I am pretty sure there was a discussion here (possibly a different forum) a while back on this subject. Many people that I respect were talking about what lube to use. It was like the story of the three little bears. Topics were Viscosity, melting or flow characteristics, Lubricating quality, etc. When ever a different topic came up, one was good, better, and best. All had good qualities. What I took away from the conversation was, White grease came in last, Petroleum jelly was second and Triflow was first. If I remember correctly, the Petroleum jelly was too thin and would melt and flow at a higher rate causing an excess of lubricant inside of the motor. There was some talk about a quote on Triflow's page, but I thought that there was also another conflicting statement there as well. Saying that it was safe. I believe the question of it's flow properties came up when someone said that the teflon would clog the wicks themselves. The amount of teflon in triflow is so small it would be time to change the grease wicks before they would clog.
Does anyone else remember this conversation?
~Grant~