View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Weezy Rider

I'm not proficient yet, but enjoying learning. My biggest obstacle is all over quilting. I simply don't like it. My grandmother used minimal quilting. Her quilts lasted, and that is good enough for me.

I found ruler work which makes more sense. I haven't used the machine, but I am buying the templates and tracing them on the blocks. It's easier to deal with than Golden Paper. I used an arc and FMQ an orange peel on the last quilt. Quite happy with the look, although FMQ still needs a lot of work. Looking at the back, the secondary pattern is interesting.

Most of the instructors on Craftsy deal with a LOT of quilting. Every inch needs to be filled. I watch the beginnings of the videos for FMQ technique and skip the rest. I also do QAYG so rolling a quilt is moot. I usually have to add scrap to the sides to hold onto the fabric for FMQ.

If I want to quilt on sashing - the Pfaff 2170 will do that. It's easier right now on smaller pieces.

I got started as I wanted a 10 inch block for a rag quilt. My embroidery machine will do 5 inches unless I split the design and turn the hoop. That wasn't worth the effort. Someone here mentioned the paper, so I used that. hard to get it all out of stitches, but it worked. I had much more of the fabric showing than quilting and that was the purpose. The fabric was the highlight. I was using monofilament which wasn't easy to see. It worked.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: language