View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Snooze2978

My sewing room is in the basement and not a walk-out style. When it rains outside too much the water starts to seep up from the floor. This is an old house built in 1900 so back before they knew to add a water protective layer before the cement was poored. I painted the floors when I 1st moved in but since then the paint has progressively been peeling along with crumbling cement. I found a spray-on water sealer so when I get a spot that's showing signs of wetness, I dry it as best I can..........sometimes it takes days, then I spray the water sealer on the area. Seems to be working and its only in one area of the basement that this is happening................of course its the room with all the machines in it. I also have a dehumidifier on during the summer months. Right now the humidity is under 20% so now I have to add humidity so I don't get zapped when I touch my machines so I just fill a dishpan full of hot water in the sink nearby and that seems to do the trick. So far my fabrics have not shown signs of problems and I've even had a pipe break over one cabinet full of dress fabrics. Lost all my notebooks filled with projects but I call that lucky. Also had the quilt machine down at one end of the frame as otherwise it would have gotten wet.