Old 01-23-2016, 06:23 AM
Carol_G

Many thanks to Glenn and everyone for all the useful info here. These techniques will be useful for the two treadle cabinets my husband has. However, the two cabinets I have are in good condition but need "touch ups". The original color of both are a lighter red, like a Cherry finish, with Shellac (tested with denat alcohol) and they have Shellac flaking. Cabinet #1 must have sat near a window because there is discoloration on the front drawers and appears brownish and faded. Cabinet #2 has the darker red, like patina, on the lower areas and has dark ripples in the shellac where your arms go when sewing (Murphy's soap did not take the ripples off). The matching stool looks great with the exception of the legs which are very rough in texture and the color of dark mahogany/dark chocolate.

So, my question is... What would be the best method to restore the color and finish of my two cabinets? I was thinking a wood soap to clean, then Howard's Cherry Restore-a-finish; but can I French polish with Shellac over Howard's? I've never done any restoration before except Glenn's method of machine restoration with Shellac.