View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM
letawellman

With all of the comments about not having good fabric sources close by, I am reminded yet again how blessed I am to live in the Carolinas.
The two states together have about 60+ LQS's. That's NOT counting places like Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's. And I am so fortunate to have Mary Jo's Cloth store (a.k.a. Quilter's Heaven). With the recent recession, we lost a few, but often, within a year or so of one closing, some enterprising person will realize the "hole" in the quilting community, and open a new one.

I have about 10 LQS's within an hour to hour-and-a-half drive, several of which I pass on my commute to work (and one of those is Mary Jo's).

Heck, even the WalMart's in my area have fabric - but it is mostly junky fabric there. I only buy from there when I'm in a big hurry and HAVE to have something RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT'S SUNDAY/MONDAY AND THE LQS IS CLOSED!!

With that said, I'm definitely a fabric snob. I really love how certain fabrics "feel" (textile companies call this "the hand" of the fabric), which includes how they drape and flow. The better fabrics are easier to stitch, both when joining the seam and when quilting the sandwich. The not-so-good fabrics will often have "unidentified" materials in them - you may see the content label saying something like "cotton, nylon, other". What?!? What do you mean "other"? That unidentified "other" can cause vast differences in shrinking and dye bleeding, even within the same bolt.
If being a fabric snob means I like quality fabric that will stand up to normal wear-and-tear, will not shrink 50% the first time I wash it, and will not disintegrate the second time I wash it, then, yes, I am absolutely a fabric snob.

I'm just super-blessed with all the LQS's around me.