View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Bree123

There are many top award-winning quilters who press all their seams open. I agree with Wholeheart Mom that the primary benefit is for those of us who quilt on a DSM, it creates a ditch. Whether it makes your seams weaker is up for debate. Quilters (like Leah Day) who do press open all their seams seem to use a shorter stitch length to help make up for the fact that the seam is pressed open. Like Mrs. Day, I came from a garment construction (& home dec) background so I was accustomed to pressing open seams. I try to press to one side now, but my original quilts were all done with a 1.4-1.6mm stitch length. So far, none of them have had any issues with the seams including my table runner that got heavy use & regular machine laundering for probably 7-8 years.

EDIT: wanted to add that the one other benefit to pressing to one side is that it's slightly easier to unsew SID quilting stitches without accidentally grabbing a stitch from your seam. I very, very rarely unsew but that's one possible issue I've had in the past once or twice.

Last edited by Bree123; 02-29-2016 at 04:43 AM.