View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 06:06 AM
MarthaT

You are doing great! I think Alex Anderson says it takes at least 20 hours of hand quilting to begin to feel confident. Looks like you are off to a wonderful start. Even after over 40 yrs. of hand quilting in a floor frame, I still pretty much quilt toward me or from right to left. (I'm right handed.) Very limited quilting away from me and then mostly on things that slant upwards where I can still quilt right to left, but uphill.

I recently quilted a Dear Jane for a customer. On those triangles along the edge, I did what I call quilting from the center of my thread. Instead of popping a knot through and quilting from the end of my thread from the top of the triangle to the bottom, cutting my thread and starting again at the top and quilting down the other side, I did not knot my thread and just started quilting at the top leaving a thread tail long enough to re-thread later and quilt down the other side. A Dear Jane is such fun to quilt because there is not the boredom of quilting the same block over and over again. Have fun!!!