Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by sweets
I welcome any ideas on the subject...thanks
Sweets, it looks like you have set off a chain of memories with your request. It and the other posts surely have for me.
I have two bookcases of cookbooks, and the ones I went through have much the same as what has been posted here, roasted with other vegetables, sauteed with chunked vegetables in cast iron skillet, or cooked like mashed potatoes. Some of the cookbooks didn't even mention turnips. To me cooked turnips have a sweet, pungent taste that I love, so different than when eating raw. They are good chunked and roasted in the same pan as lamb. So, I'd say go for it, any way you want to try may turn out to be a family favorite.
As did Onebyone, I too grew up in AR off the end of Crowley's Ridge, not far from where the St. Francis empties into the Mississippi. In that wonderful soil there, turnips were just the underground part that held the turnip greens while they grew. Some farmers managed the fields like today's "you-pick". Greens could be harvested several times and grew back from the same root. It was traditional to eat the greens like a spring tonic to cleanse the liver and clear the body of toxins. In my family turnips were just secondary to turnip greens.