View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 12:20 PM
SewingSew

M. Elizabeth, I wanted to respond to your post sooner but it has been a busy time. I am so sorry about your son. It must be heartbreaking for you as mother to watch him go through this. We all owe our freedom to men like him. I have always wondered how anyone could go into battle and come away with anything but PTSD. It is a steep price that our soldiers pay so that Americans can sleep peacefully in their beds at night. I come from a family of military men. When I was a child, there was a table in my grandmother's house with family photos and the table was filled with her son's and brother's military photos. We had every branch of the service covered more than once. My uncles and my father were in the navy. My uncles saw the battlefield, as did my great uncles. My brother was in special forces in Iraq on two tours. My father-in-law was a POW during WWII. He was given a purple heart. He walked with a limp from schrapnel in his leg. He was first generation American. His plane was shot down. He spent a year in a concentration camp in a small, cold cell with very little to eat. My stepfather was in the army for 37 years. He saw battle in Korea and Vietnam. Some of the men in my family won't even talk about it. The stories are too horrific to discuss. As a mother myself, I can't even imagine what you went through while he was there... I'm guessing terrified and proud at the same time. I just wanted to tell you that, like so many Americans, I appreciate what your family has sacrificed and I know that we all owe our soldiers a debt we can never repay. Sharon