View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Get a drawing pad and pencil and doodle those designs that are wonky. As you practice on paper, you will develop muscle memory and it will become easier to do those designs with the machine.
I totally agree with this, the more you practice drawing a design the better it will look when quilting. Jerkiness can often be from hesitation of not knowing where to go where if you draw a design over and over you know the movements. I have a brother and I actually don't mind the hopping foot but also check the height as the thicker the sandwich the more you have to adjust the presser foot height for FMQ. I also agree with the slider( I use a sew slip II) and the gloves. Also having you machine flush in a table creating less drag and this makes a huge difference so keep all that in mind. there are suspender by jenihoop if you have a small table or no flush surface to reduce drag. There are a lot of things that play into the quality of stitching with FMQ. Getting a consistent speed. My problem is when I have to make any turns it is tempting to speed or slow down your hands but if you keep the same machine speed this also leads to sloppy stitches. The drawing practice helps with this so you are unlikely to alter hand speed. One day you will just finally have an AHA moment when you get what is needed to give good results