View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I'm teaching myself -- or trying to -- to free motion quilt.
But, boy, am I bad at this! My circles are wonky, I am apparently incapable of stippling, and I can't do pebbles either. I can meander fairly well, and oddly enough I find creating swirls fairly easy, and can make a series of "waves" (that look like cresting ocean waves) that are consistent. And I think I have the speed pretty well understood. A big help was a video by a guy named Rob (right?) who said big stitches were usually caused by slow machine speed and fast moving fabric. On my next attempt I realized he's right. But the line of stitches themselves still sometimes look peculiar, not neat and smooth and precise as I see in the videos. I assume this is a speed problem and I'll get better. I hope, anyway.

The biggest aggravation is the jerkiness that I feel while moving the fabric. I've watched two dozen videos and in all of them the fabric appears to move so smoothly; I see none of the jerkiness or resistance that I'm experiencing. I've sprayed a silicone spray on my machine bed, without much noticeable difference, and have now covered it with wax paper, which is somewhat better. Haven't yet invested in a slider but may in future....if I decide I can actually do this. Right now I'm somewhat obsessed with it. I can't master it but can't leave it alone. It doesn't help that I am a long time amateur artist (I draw and paint)....so feel I should be better at this!

Any tips or hints or suggestions -- or encouragement -- by those who have been where I am?
Sorry but had to share a funny thought. By your way of thinking, since I have tightened screws around the house, I should be a great car mechanic right? Lol. Just be parient with your self, you are learning a completely new skill, and that takes time. How did you drive the first time you tried? See? I believe in You. Hugs.