View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I entered my wall hanging in the local fair but realized I don't know if embellishments are allowed or not? The dragon has a crystal as an eye. Will this get us disqualified from the competition? Watson
What a wonderful wall hanging you have created.

For the Ontario Fairs, the rules are all over the map! What is a rule at one, may not even be a factor at the next. My best advice is to read the rules of the class, and any overall rules for the group of classes. Sometimes they are specified in different ways. And sometimes too, there are classes specifically for embellished items.

If the rules do not say, "cannot have" then assume that crystal is not an issue! Just be sure to meet all the requirements, whatever they may be.

Check about samples ... most of the Ontario fairs will ask that you include samples of the fabrics used. That rule may be in the overall rules for the quilt classes. Maybe not. Always good to include them, even if not asked, as a just in case! Can never go wrong with that.

Someone mentioned contacting the Fair Committee ... I have found it depends who you ask, as to what answer you will get. Different ones from each. Many will cop out and say, that is up to the Judge. Not really ... the Judge has to read THEIR rules and follow from there! After asking a few times, and not really getting an answer, I now pretty much go with my own judgement as many on the committee members do not even understand quilting.

Watson, Good Luck!!!! ... now you have me wondering, which fair ... maybe I can see your amazing wall hanging IRL!

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-18-2016 at 03:56 PM.