View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Thank you everybody for your nice comments. I did work hard on this until I wanted to crumple it up and throw it away. Only 72 star blocks... Then only 35 more to do.... Thankfully it has been un-crumpled and the border was fixed today.
For Those who would like the pattern,
The pattern was drafted by Jill Reid and published in Quilters newsletter magazine in 2009. Jill was reconstructing an antique quilt made in the last century by Mrs. Miles from New Jersey. If you go to the link and scroll down, you will see both of these beautiful quilts, and also the instructions to make 10" blocks (which puzzles me since the Jill Reid quilt and the inspiration antique quilt use 5" blocks. I can only guess that the intent of the 10" block was to be easier for most quilters).

If you are making 5" blocks, then you need 1.5" squares for the 25-patch blocks and the corners of the star frames. The lights, mediums, and darks are placed consistently in each block. You will need 2" squares for the star centers and 1.25" squares to make the star points. My guideline for the fabrics was to use either a solid, a tone on tone, or the smallest calicoes. Scale of prints is important to me for small blocks.

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2...nze-style.html
Thanks, Jenny...either size is a challenge...going on my bucket list..