Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 AM
vschieve

My mother also had one of those tub with wringer attached washers, and we line dried our clothes. The brand was "Easy". We were still using it when I was in jr. high school or maybe even into high school, the 60's. It finally gave out, and mother bought a Harvest Gold Maytag washer with the big tub. It was wonderful! The timer on the dial quit working sometime in the late 1980's, but we knew how to manually rig it to keep it going and washing our clothes. If you wanted to wash towels and sheets HOT, it filled the tub will ALL hot water, none of the mixing of cold and hot. In 2007 another issue popped up, so we decided to take it to an appliance dealer that services their products which is family owned and in business since 1948. They quit selling Maytag washers by this time because Maytag had been bought out by another company and were constantly in need of repair. BUT, they had the experience in repairing them including the model we had. So, we put a $200 limit on repair, but when we rolled it out there was oil on the floor under it, which means the transmission was bad. So, I researched Consumer's Reports and read reviews, and decided upon buying the matching GE Profile top loading agitator with the Super Size stainless steel tub and matching gas dryer. In 2011 or 2012 the washer was not draining the water, so the repairman came out, and the news was not good. I did more research online and learned a lot about this machine; that a code is sent that details which part is malfunctioning. I called the appliance store back and they gave me an 800 number for GE, that GE has their own repairmen and have had customers come out much better calling GE instead of the in-house repair. The store even returned our service call money! GE guy came out in GE truck/van, determined it was the motor, replaced it for $200, parts and labor, and it has a life time guarantee as long as I have the receipt. GE guy said anything off their truck into our appliances has life time warranty. Appliance store could have replaced motor, but although new, would only have a 90 day warranty. GE repair guy also said the new motor has been redesigned to correct the fault in the original. So far, so good, as here it is 2016 and it is still going strong. I love this washer and dryer. GE still makes this style that looks very similar which I see at Lowe's and Home Depot. I hope they are as good as the set we bought in 2007.