Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM
JENNR8R

Originally Posted by Redtop View Post
I love this pattern!! I used all scraps(including small ones) and am very pleased with the finished quilt top. Since I used natural Kona Cotton for the light side, I want to hand quilt feathers in the light. I have 2 templates, but they don't fit the space and look like I want. I would love to have feathers that curve around the colored squares to fit the space. I have tried to draw free handed feathers(4 times) without success. HElP! Any ideas? I've looked on YouTube and I can't duplicate what I see. Quilt Shops in the area don't offer free handed feathers or templates. I would love to be able to draw the kind I see on YouTube that curves to fit any size space. Thanks
I'm not good at getting consistent free-motion feathers either. How I get around that is to draw an outline area on a piece of paper the same size as the white portion... of maybe two blocks since it repeats throughout the quilt. I then start drawing my feathers on the paper with a pencil. I erase lines that I don't like until I have a drawing that looks good in the space. I then outline those feathers on the paper with a sharpie so that they show up well. Tape that drawing on a lightbox, put the quilt top over the drawing and trace with a blue Mark-Be-Gone water-soluable marker. When one area is traced, move the quilt top to the next area lining up the pattern with the previously marked lines. Don't iron the quilt after putting on the blue marker. Submerge in cold water to get rid of the marks when the quilt is finished.

I used this method to mark a quilt that won a Judge's Choice ribbon in a national show:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t270178.html