Thread: Still learning
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 AM
dottiemae

Default Still learning

I am still learning quilting techniques. Made a dog quilt for our old Chihuahua. The problem I had always had with the previous bindings were no issues on this. pretty excited about that.

Hubby has been working on his quilt as he has time. While he is using the sewing machine, I am thinking of practicing hand quilting on some left over batting and fabric from my previous adventures. That way I can do some quilting while he does.

I dabbled a bit the other day. My stitches are not consistent and I can not for the life of me get the rocking motion going with a thimble on my fingers. I have tried all of them. I am thinking I am truly going to have to pay someone to help me with this. Dreading it as that means lessons and a cab fare.

I do understand the concept and I am sure it is a bad attitude on my part ( impatience on learning the technique. if you understand the technique and can get the needle straight down then flat and working 3 stitches on needle I should be able to do it) Yeah, most likely my issue is myself. I am not going to give up just yet though. I also have to stop worrying about how many stitches per inch I am doing and just relax and work on consistency/ evenly spaced stitches.

I think it would be fun to do. Maybe not every quilt. But a baby size would be a great place to start. A lot of the you tube videos are not up close enough for me to get the full view. I would love to do the quilt top on the machine but the quilting by hand for at least 1 quilt in my lifetime.

How many hand quilter are here and do you have any beginner tips that you are willing to share? What was your biggest struggle when you started out and how did you over come it?