View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I just read where one lady cannot get down to baste hers on the floor, but pulled out the old time quilting frame and pinned the backing, batting and top, then basted it standing up or sitting down. It would be so much easier to do for a lot of us that can no longer get down on our knees. Some people are getting rid of the old quilting frames but this is something to think about. Just an idea to through out there.
this is the way i baste my large quilts. it works perfectly. holds all layers well, no movement even with poly batt. i use a vintage clamped frame i got at estate auction many years ago. would be easy to build ..just four one by two's & c-clamp the corners ..rest corners on back of dining room chairs. for smaller quilts, i clear my table, lay back down & smooth & tape edges with blue tape. then layer batt & then top ...tape down top. baste in 3-4" grid. loosen all the tape & move quilt up or down to repeat process for next section needing basting. continue this process until quilt is basted. when i learned to quilt many years ago poly batt was about all that was available from department stores, there were few to no LQS's around rural areas. so learning this basting technique from a book by joe cunningham/gwen marsten was how i learned to deal with the wierd slippy thing poly batt does. glue, in my experience does not work well with 100% poly batt. also check out sharin chamber site for her method, it's been discussed here on the board a few times ..i haven't tried it, but i would if my own method didn't work so well. i do glue spray, my flannel & minke quilts now & was delighted with first attempt & had no tucks or pleats ..but i used 80/20. also for spray ..i don't use 505 ...it's 3 F outside here in winter ..window opening not an option ..there are other brands like dritz that are odor free & i noticed nancy's notions advertising a new product that was an odor free spray baste.