Thread: Antenae for TV
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM
mhollifiel

IMHO, cable and satellite TV is fast becoming a thing of the past. And they know it. When I pulled the plug, I was offered less than half $33) what I was paying for 2 years to continue. The longer I resisted, the longer the term offered was extended. If you are getting basic for $78, I can almost guarantee you that there are many customers who are getting the same thing you are for much less because they threatened to pull the plug.
Also (IMHO) i don't trust any advertisement such as the antenna ones on TV. As a professional librarian, my instinct is to research it. Almost always the reviews are just terrible.
So what's best? Your area will dictate that. My neighbor here in remote, rural eastern NC has an new but old type rooftop antenna (cost $150) her sweetie installed and she gets 25 good channels almost all the time. Considering we basically live in a big swamp, that's amazing.
I use an indoor, flat antenna (less than $60) that's mounted high on the wall in my second floor studio. I mounted it myself with those little stick on clips/hooks you can pull off if you need to. It gets me all the choices I need from the major networks and more. I also use streaming via Chromecast and have Amazon Prime which has a great variety of content available with their Prime program. I am a Netflix streaming subscriber as well but lately I am finding that the old mail out DVD program has more recent movies that I want to watch so I am thinking of just doing that for a while instead of the streaming one.
BUT I wouldn't even need what's on Amazon or Netflix or any of the other pay-to-stream companies if I just used YouTube and others. What's available between YouTube and my local channels brought in by antenna is plenty to meet my needs. What that means is that, realistically, my chromecast and my antenna (both one time purchases) could easily provide all the viewing choices I need and more and at no cost.

Hope this is not TMI and good luck as you choose your path with this.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 02-03-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: clarity