View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Kit Kat

Default Hi everyone, I'm new here!

Hi everyone. I just signed up. I go by Kit Kat. I wondered if I could ask some advice. I love vintage sewing machines. Especially ones that need TLC. However, the other day when I was into my local Sewing machine repair shop, I had a conversation about my vintage machines I own, and I loosely said, I'd really love to have a hand crank machine someday. Maybe a 128 Singer or something. Well the owner takes me over to one he has for sale. Bentwood case, has some splits in the dome in the veneer, couple chips near the bottom. Machine is dirty looking, has an electrical hookup to a motor with light in the compartment in the base. Says, belt is slipping a bit motor just needs tightening. Chips in paint surface and decal worn off in center and edge of machine and front beside needle. Asking $150.00 make me an offer. Well , I didn't know what to offer, finally I throw out $75.00. He says sold. He try's it out for me when I ask how well it runs. Motor sounds a little funny, he says, oh, just needs tightening. It has original accessories in box with some damage to edges. Came with 2 bobbins. (one in machine) One Kenmore large screwdriver. No Singer ones. Original old grease tube in box. Paint peeled off middle of tube where squeezed. I buy it. Get it home, has lint in under long bobbin case, in behind faceplate. Full of white grease on all moving parts behind faceplate and behind plate in back of machine. Pressure regulator frozen, balance wheel screw frozen, tensioner full of brown greasy junk, bobbin winder as well. It took me 7 hours of careful painstaking work to get this machine looking as beautiful as it can for the condition, and everything moving freely less all the dirty and grit. Stitches beautifully and winds bobbins perfectly. Oh, stitch length knob, frozen as well. Anyway, the motor turns out to be arching, will need cleaning maybe armateur, light has a cut in the cord, bare wire showing. This was hooked to one of those plug in little boxes, set into the compartment. One of those kits you can buy to convert a hand machine to electric. Case was originally for a knee control lever and you can tell one time case, had a control box in it. Hole for knee lever has been plugged with white rubber plug, painted black on outside. Did I get ripped off? I assumed the machine had at least been serviced on the inside, and the electrical was safe and that this guy was telling me the truth. He hadn't serviced it at all, unless he was the one who put all the grease on the moving parts inside. Can a sewing machine salesman, serviceman sell machines like this? He has oodles of used refurbished machines, as well as a few brand new Brother High end models. He did say make an offer, and I wanted to be fair, but I wasn't impressed the machine could be worth $150.00. This guy is the only one in town and has been here since the 1960's. Sorry this is so long. Sure would appreciate some input.

Kit Kat