View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 PM
petthefabric

[QUOTE=tessagin;7811329]Curious with this one. Did you put the fabrics together then cut the shapes you wanted then applique to the strips? [QUOTE=petthefabric;7811316]OK, Since it's improv.... the maker makes the decisions. You can make it any shape you want.

I think you're referring to the quilt with the uneven bottom. The big round pot is 2 fabrics. The red print is all one big piece, the top and stand are black. The pitcher is also 2 fabrics. The body is one piece and the handle/lip is another. When possible, I let the fabric do the work. After I had these 2 shapes, the focal area developed into this diagonal arrangement. Dragonflies appear and mums bloom in the fall. The mums were fussy cut and applied broderie perse (sp). Then I thought of fall and the wheat harvest (the vertical strips and diagonal grain heads) and of course a harvest moon. Then applied more dragonflies with broderie perse and irridescent gold paint stamp.

This quilt took several years to let it speak to me. Well worth the effort. It was a wedding present (she saw it in progress & of course it was late) to our daughter and SIL.