View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Macybaby

I kept having tension issues, and some times it would happen all of a sudden.

I learned that my HQ likes a loose quilt top (looser than I expected).

I put a digital readout for my top tension (some come with that now) and learned I never get the "lefty losey, righty tighty" thing correct (I go the wrong way all the time) and I also learned I needed to turn that dial a lot more than I was.

Still was having problems, so I finally bought a towa bobbin tension gauge, and discovered the five bobbins that came with the machine - did not turn smoothly in the bobbin case. They looked quite different from the extra HQ bobbins I bought. I liked them because they seemed sturdier, and almost always used at least a few of them on any quilt.

Now no matter what thread I'm using, I use the gauge to set the tension at 200 for the bobbin, adjust the top to balance it, make sure my quilt is loose enough, and I rarely have tension problems. The HQ was an upgrade for me, and I never had tension problems with the Bailey, so I was really frustrated for about 2 years until I finally got it all figured out. I spent a lot of time NOT quilting during those 2 years - now I spend time quilting most weeks.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-12-2017 at 05:04 PM.