Thread: String-aling
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 03:16 PM
zozee

I organized my strings in two bins:

1) 2.5 inch
2) 1" - less than 2.5, and 3"+

I don't cut the length down till I need to (never know if you'll end up making a 5" or 10" string block or whatever).

I press each one before putting it in the Strings bin so that they're ready when I am. Nothing kills my motivation quite like
wanting to sew NOW but finding a wad of wrinkled scraps. Believe me, you'll thank yourself for ironing them (I do that while listening to a podcast if I'm not in a sewing mood).

I use the 12" square Art Bin brand stackable cases w/ carrying handle. They work really well for all kinds of organizing and are easy to label.

If they haven't been ironed, they go in a catch-all bin I label "scraps to process".

My reason for having a separate 2.5" is that I find myself wanting all 2.5" width for quite frequently, or 2.5" squares cut from length. If a strip is 3" or more wide, I can always cut it down later, but I like to keep them as wide as possible till I need them.

Hope that helps you think through your goals.

I don't use widths less than 1" because, after seam allowances, it's too narrow for me to enjoy working with.

Last edited by zozee; 09-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.