Thread: Sweet 16
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 02:26 PM
HettyB

There a quite a number of older posts on the board that you might find helpful. However...
I have one and absolutely love it. I have just come back from a weeks retreat with it. FAB!

Cons: It took me awhile to get to grips with setting the tension. It is expensive considering it only does one thing... freemotion (well ruler work too). The table is heavy. Maintenance can be troublesome if you don't have a technician nearby. When mine is due for servicing, I have to pack it up it it's original box and packing and have it shipped off. That means breaking down the machine etc. It is hard work if you don't have help. And the price of a courier adds to the cost. I have it serviced once a year regardless. Software upgrades are Not free. You cannot see the bobbin when sitting at the table without bending over to look underneath, so you have to learn it by touch. And after each bobbin you need to clean out the fluff and oil it. I have to sit on the floor to do it.

Pros: Lots of throat space. I can fmq a baby quilt in a simple all over pattern in less than 20 minutes which is great as I do a number of Linus and charity quilts. I love not having the weight of the quilt in my lap or the majority of it dragging on the floor or catching on the table.

Options: I have the TruStitch but rarely use it as it is a pain when doing ruler work. And I have added a strip of LED lights along the underside of the throat space because I need Lots of light. I purchased the table overlay, which is useful and for additional "slide", I use a silicone ovenliner because it is so much cheaper than the supreme slider.

Like any new tool/equipment, you have to put in the time learning how to use it.

Hope this helps.

HettyB

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps