View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 06:04 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I was intrigued with Jenny Doan's Oliso pop up iron. Now I can't use anything else. Heaven help you if it breaks or leaks. Just get a new one. Once you train your brain not to set it on it's heel, you can't change back. This time I read the instructions: use a cheap bottled spring water.
Marcia
I have adventurous cats, so I got an iron shaped silicone pad with little dull spikes that the iron lays flat on. I can even set it on it when it is hot, to cool. I can’t have an iron that tips easily with cats in the house. When I first got the pad, I only used it to put the iron on for cooling and storage. I was doing some freezer paper appliqué one day, (which forces you to pick up the iron a zillion times an an hour), when it occurred to me to lay the iron on the pad between uses. By laying it flat on the pad, I could keep the auto-off switch from activating (mine activates if the iron stands too long without being tipped) and keeping the iron hot for the full time I am using it. It also keeps me mindful of exactly where the iron is since I am losing peripheral vision. When you live on a tight budget like mine, you find the inexpensive solutions to problems. Someday I might have a fancy Oliso iron, but until then I make do with my cheaper Walmart irons. I get 7-10 years per iron. Works for me.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.