View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Maggie8801

Default left out also

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I really like this idea - tried 2 different quilts and felt very much on the outside. At break time everyone gathered into their little groups, which I understand, but I felt left out. Tried going back a second time and same thing happened, and didn't try a third. It is hard for a newcomer, at least me, to go up to a group and try to participate. I felt like I was really intruding when I tried that. But to have a designated group for newcomers and people to talk with - I would have loved that!
I felt just like you last week. We are moving to a new town in a year. I joined the local quilt guild at their show and attended my first meeting last week. No one greeted me but I am former military spouse, so have never met a stranger. Introduced myself and asked the membership/sign in person what I should do. She got me signed in and then said, go join a group and introduce myself. That did not work, so went into the meeting area and found a seat. Introduced myself to the two ladies on the row, they were pleasant but not welcoming. After the initial "my name is" stuff the meeting started.

Flash back two years ago. There had been some complaints that my current guild was not welcoming. I decided to make it my mission to greet every new person. I did that at each meeting and then found them a guild member to sit with and introduced the new person all around. Now I am the guild president and I still personally welcome all new members and chit chat with them. I also introduce myself to people who attend guild that I do not recognize. Sometimes they are old members who are just coming back or someone who rarely comes, rarely are they a friend, but at my age my mind is slipping. Our guild has 170 members so I guess I can lighten up on myself. Anyway, I will continue to attend the guild before we permanently relocate to Tyler, Tx. It is the only game in town and we have bought our retirement home.