View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
tulip 43 and quiltE, What is the final disposition of these quilts? I'd hate to see one cremated and I definitely would not want it to go home with some employee. Is there any way to have a say in this?
For the Hospice that I made mine for, the quilt is re-used with subsequent deaths.
It stays with the Hospice House.

Their procedures are that the quilt covers the body as it leaves the room, and out to an alcove before leaving the building. A remembrance candle has already been lit there, and will stay lit for the rest of the day. Here, the family has the opportunity for a final farewell before their loved one is put in the hearse and taken to the funeral home. It may be as simple as a few seconds or can be quite extensive, if that is of their desire. They may or may not have their minister with them, for prayers, blessings, etc. Again, as to their choosing. The Hospice staff have nothing to do with this, other than providing the opportunity. Staff who are available will attend to show their respects. In nice weather, it is held just through the doors, in a lovely open but roofed area, with amazing plants, shrubbery around.

Once the body is placed into the hearse, the funeral director removes the blanket, giving it back to a Hospice staff person.

Of course, this is only what happens at this Hospice House.
Other facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. may have different procedures.

Before I made the quilt, I had met with the Residence Director of Care, to discuss all the details I outlined earlier in this thread. At the same time, she explained their intended use of the Passage Quilt and actually took me on a tour to show me the whole facility, as well as how/where the deceased leave their Home.

I SO believe in HH ... and it was just a little step that I could take to help them.