Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Bearisgray: did you come to any conclusions on the subject? There really aren't any guaratees, and I guess the main reasons to get a new machine would be the old one doesn't work or aren't fit for the purpose you need it for. The new have a few nice features, like 9 mm zigzag, built in upper feed, stretcy stitches, auto stitch regulator for free motion. I like a good button hole too. I don't bother too much with needle up/down, auto tie off, auto thread cutter. I do well with the separate walking foot... If you like working on a simple 201, you probably would not like many (or any) of the lower to medium priced machines, you really need to serach a bit ot get a nice one at a reasonable price.
My conclusions: I love the Pfaff 1471, 1473, 1475 machines. However, if the motherboard dies on any of them, the machine is effectively dead. (Ever wonder why that piece is called the "mother"board?)

For the sewing I do, which tends to be "basic" , the machines I have are adequate. I have a Bernina 930 Record (1980s machine) and the Pfaffs - I also have a couple of Singer 237's - of which I am also fond.

The only shiny black machine I have is a Necchi BU. I was stupid and gave away the cabinet, but it needed to see the sewing machine doctor, so now it is in a portable case.