View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I agree with Dunster. And as you so well know, being a vintage machine enthusiast, they ain't what they used to be. My Bernina is rapidly approaching "vintage" status. I think I bought it darn close to 20 years ago (my how time flies!) I have the 153 Virtuoso QE which was their mid-range machine, not top of the line but not the basic machine either, most likely comparable to the 570 without embroidery. Point of purchase, with a table I believe I spent between 3 and 4 thousand for the setup.

At that time the mid-line machines were still manufactured in Switzerland. It is my understanding that Bernina has farmed out all manufacturing to Taiwan and only the long arms and the top of the line 800 series are still manufactured in Switzerland. Everything else is made in Taiwan.

Several years ago the Bernette was not getting rave reviews. I just did a quick search on review on line now and they seem more positive.

Regarding who makes them.... That is a bit more murky. Here is a link to a 2017 press release where it states Bernette is "Marketed and sold" by Bernina, and some of the models are "Swiss Designed". So that sounds to me like Bernina is putting their name behind the product but is not involved in the manufacture except to provide designs and specs. http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...es-2204388.htm