Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM
nanna-up-north

Wow! I've enjoyed reading every person's comments and so many of you are spot on in what you say. I think only taking classes from quilters that have won big prizes in major quilt shows is a mistake and a bit snobbish. Prize winning quilters are unique. Not every one can do that. Prize winning teachers are unique, too. It takes a special talent to put a class together, meet the needs of the students and give a superb performance.

I'm happy when I win a prize at a quilt show. I've won a few but not at the major shows although I've entered and been accepted. But, I'm a great teacher. People tell me this all the time. Many say I'm the best teacher they've ever had. I'm honored that my students feel this way. My job when teaching is to help every student learn and get better at their quilting. I'm not selling a pattern (although I've designed a few). I'm not selling me. I'm retired. I teach because I love it and I like helping people improve in what they do. I'm not perfect. I always want to learn more as well so I'll take a class from time to time and I don't ask if they won any prize anywhere.

I've taken classes from some of the 'big names', too. Some have been great. Some haven't been worth the money. Every one of those classes had too many people in it for the teacher to meet the needs of the students in my opinion.

So there you are. I think teaching is a special gift. You need to find a person that has that gift. I hope I don't get my hands slapped for my opinions 'cause that's all they are, my opinions.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps