Old 08-08-2019, 06:32 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by purpleblocks View Post
More pictures You inspire my online search. I found some similar to mine and the one with the arrows is mine tension assembly. I bravely took it apart and put back per diagrams. However still breaking thread. The arrows show where the screws, pin and breaking points are. Any suggestions?
I'm unsure of what you mean "breaking points." Which diagrams? Are there some in your manual? I saw the pictures of the pin and it looks like the presser foot is down, when you took it. Can you see the discs (#5 & #6) separate a little when you raise the presser foot? Are the discs (#5 & #6) facing each other? I couldn't tell for sure from the picture. If you think of the the discs as bowls, are the bottoms together?

It has been quite a while since I've had a tension assembly apart. Most of mine that I've taken apart are Singers and I have found good diagrams of how they go back together. For some reason, when I first saw your assembly apart, I thought that 7 & 8 were transposed. I could be wrong, but I think the large end of the spring (#8) goes in the open part of the 'bowl' of disc #6 and then #7 fits over the small end of spring #8. So the sequence should be 5, 6, 8, 7 from the machine outward. It seems like I've worked with pieces similar to #9 through #12. It kind of reminds me of the Singer 401 tensions. It seems like there is a way to press on #12 to get the previous pieces in the right slots of #9 & #12 to get the right tension. My "google-fu" isn't working very well, tonight, but perhaps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G49qEBwDBFM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UttHpnQy0xk would give you some ideas. The parts would be a little different, but similar.

When you have your machine threaded properly past the tension assembly and hopefully tension set somewhat close, if the presser foot is up the upper thread should pull through easily. When the presser foot is down, the thread will have slight resistance, but still able to pull some thread through.

I wish I could help better.

ETA: I don't think those cams are for your machine. Generally there is a door or place on the top of the arm that opens to put the cams in. It seems like there are some that the door is on the front of the arm - where yours has the various decorative stitches.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

I

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-08-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links