Thread: Batiks
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 AM
WendyMcD

When I wrote the first post I was a mess due to ailments and forgot my major beef with batiks. The problem I have with batiks is they do not wear well at all. I've got 10-20 year old quilts which are well used/loved and the batiks are the ones I have to replace, constantly. The cottons, only the cheaper stuff has needed to be replaced or some places where they were hooked upon something and tore. Cheaper stuff came in from the beginning as we were really poor when I started now we are ok, not good, but ok-hey I can still buy fabric even if I have to melt that card at times. Anway, most of the good cotton wears really well. So I determined only to use batiks in wall hangings but this SBQ is really screaming at me black and rainbow of hand paints and batiks are the only way to go. I had my infusion yesterday and doc ordered pre-meds, now I can't wait for the house to wake up so I can get to dyeing my fabric.

A friend and I are doing the Piecemakers calendar 2000 quilt. I put batiks into it and will try to put a few more in and see if my needle turn doesn't like me better. I do know that the crease things so real as is the fraying thing. The difference in my piecing changes between the two fabrics.

Thank you all for your aid. I wrote to my LA and will see what she's got to say. I asked her for the machine name and what needles/thread does she use. Perhaps she will love batiks too.