Thread: Class problems
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM
petthefabric

I've taken many classes: locally, at quilt shows and 5 day retreats. The first one I wasn't prepared properly and took a new machine. Lesson: get all the supply list, call instructor if necessary. Be very familiar with your machine.

The only other bad experience was a computer class. I really was in over my head. The retreat leaders (not the instructor) encouraged me & helped me personally. (I'd been to this retreat many times and had always excelled.) I've noticed the instructors have never returned to the venue, maybe I wasn't the only one with problems.

There've been instructors I've liked more than others.

Usually I take a look at my mindset. Often I need an attitude adjustment. Then I take what the instructor says and interpret it into my thinking. If I'm having a problem, I'll listen to the class/students talking, then go ask the instructor. I might take a break, get a drink and walk around the room to get a new perspective. Then I try to keep my eyes on my own project. If I compare myself to other I either get a big head or discouraged.

Classes to learn are a process. Get emersed, keep your eyes on your own work, relax and enjoy. The product may or may not be all that importand. I've come home and taken my project apart, not a failure, I just didn't like it. Art is like that, sometimes it just doesn't match my vision. It's not going to Paduka, no one is judging it.

Last edited by petthefabric; 11-04-2019 at 12:00 PM.