View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 PM
MarbleCreek

Originally Posted by happymrs View Post
Years ago, all the big dept. stores sold fabric, like Penny's & Sears. Use to get really great deals too, especially when polyester was so popular & the thing to make clothes out of...

Hello friends. I say friends because I've read you for three or four years but this is my first post. I feel I know so many of you because you have been my silent mentors. Thank you for all the many things I have learned from each one. In many ways I'm still a beginner quilter. My stack of UFO's can measure up to any of yours. My husband is almost jealous of Jack the Ripper but at the same time he thinks I'm the best ripper he has ever seen.

I remember when department stores sold fabric and since I live in a very rural area an exclusive fabric store was not to be in central Texas. In the early sixties the closest place to buy fabric was 60 miles away at J.C. Penny's. A few friends went there shopping once and being a young mother I had to take my four under school age boys along. In order to keep them happy while we shopped, we first went to Woolsworth where they selected a toy. One of them wanted a pair of child's scissors. While trying to shop the fabric area in Penny's I turned around only to find the one with the scissors was snipping off the price tags of the fabric bolts! Remember how the price tags were pinned to the the fabric bolts with small gold pins? I was so embarrassed and quickly took the tags to the sales lady and left without a purchase!

Thank you for this board and all you great quilters who have graciously taken the time to give your much needed advice. I will try to join in from time to time if this went to the right place. Happy New Year to all.