View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 06:14 AM
juliasb

I love my serger, I had the Singer 14 back in the early 90's it was a nice serger but it was limited in what I wanted. I traded it in for a New Homes by Janome. This is a much nicer serger and does have a handle an a nice quiet motor and movement. It gets used hard. It is great for receiving blankets, garment making and for differential sewing like for sweat shirts and the like.
However for quilting I have discovered it does not preform as I would like. The stitches just aren't as tight as I would like. I made a couple quilts with the serger and then put it aside for that purpose. I have gone back to my regular machines. I thought it would be the greatest for quilting since it has the ability to bind the seams but it just doesn't give the quality I like..
Like with any serger threading can be tricky. I recently spent about 2 weeks trying to get my serger threaded. I would work on it for an hour or so then leave and then come back. I wasn't going to let it get the better of me. I have found however that using beeswax to coat the lower threads while threading is a big help.
Best of luck in making your choice and have fun with it. I love mine and get a lot of use out of it just not for quilting. They are a great addition to any sewer's sewing needs.