Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM
joe'smom

leheath8, there are no silly questions. Personally, I think that Bonnie quilts made from single yardage look about the same as scrappy when viewed from a distance (as, in the photos people post), and are just as beautiful. I think the pleasure of scrappy is for the person making the quilt, and for the person who has a chance to view the quilt close-up.

My experience is, it is quite a bit easier to work with single fabric per color (which I did one year when foolishly trying to make two versions of the mystery -- never finished either one), because there is less to press, and because you do not then have to make decisions about what fabric to put with what fabric for each unit. If such decision-making doesn't come easily to you, I think you might be better off with single fabrics for your first mystery.

Most years, I've thought about trying to find a really interesting group of fabrics to do a mystery in single yardage, but as I am restricted to shopping for fabric on line, and because it takes so darned long to browse on-line, I've never followed up. It seems that each year, there is at least one person on Bonnie's Facebook page who wows me with their single yardage choices, and I always hope to get a look at that particular quilt in progress.

Last edited by joe'smom; 11-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.