View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 PM
grennan

leonf, it might come to that.

According to my notes (hah) the serial number is # AH 221 459 which seems very short. Unlike almost every other sewing machine in this chaotic house and garage, it's securely boxed (inner-wrapped in brown paper so condensation isn't an issue) and I took the pictures before I did. But I'll look again if the number needs to be longer.

I'm not going to oil and lube it, I am not going to be the first person to use this! No lint, thread fragments or any other indication it was ever even threaded or came near a textile. The pedal looks like it has never been on a floor, much less touched a foot. I've got another picture that shows the plug socket and again, it looks straight from the box. (Maybe I didn't plug it in to test the light? It's been a couple of years since it arrived.)

Even if I traveled as much as I used to, and really wanted an ultra-portable, the Elna Lotus is smaller, self-encased, and mine has several zig-zag stitches. One of the most beautiful-looking sewing machines, or appliances, ever made.

While I'd love to sell the 221, I'm scared the buyer might plug it in and either seize it up or have it sizzle and give off smoke, and I can't figure out how to phrase "as is; please, please oil first, and let me know how it works out".

Sewbizgirl, I know featherweights go for a lot, but that much for an "as is" without a case? I don't understand going for cosmetics, more interested in operating condition. I agree about the 301.

For a display, I'd put out the Babylock In A Basket (one...strange...machine, in its wicker sewing basket. There is a reason no other manufacturer has ever combined the likely-sounding pair.). Plus the foolish National N-50 "Viking" that I bought by mistake a couple of weeks ago, which looks like National borrowed the Kirby Vacuum tooling on the q.t. to cast the aluminum. Or part of a Corvair engine. Or a cheezy model of the Chrysler building made right before WWII cut off metal manufacturing.