View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Quilter Day-by-Day

Originally Posted by grennan View Post
I've got two questions about the basic Featherweight; for various reasons they might seem strange, but I'd really appreciate your input.

First, what do you like about using it? Why do people become fanatics? I have used one, but in the mid-90s (before I really got into sewing) as a house guest; my friend borrowed it from her mom for halloween costuming, and neither of us knew Singer had ever made something that small.

I have one that I've never used, because (and here's the strange part) I don't think anybody ever has. I got it a couple of years ago as a side part of a charity auction for an Elna Lotus and expected it to be really battered and beatup...my interest was the Lotus, and the 221 was described as "flawed?"

I've piled up a lot of straight-stitch singer attachments and figured the 221 to test them.

It came without a case, the light turns on and the wheel turns nicely but no way would I turn it on -- given the "flawed?" and that oiling/lubing first, at least, would be smart.

Here are some pictures. Every time I look at it, thinking, oh, my memory is exaggerating, it looks more unused than any sewing machine I've ever gotten, including several new or reconditioned ones. I have absolutely no idea how it could survive almost 70 years (an unknown number without the case) and look this good.

So, I don't want to mar its "unusedness" but it's not a collectible that means anything to me, so I don't know about hauling it to a repair shop, which I'd do if it were.

I don't know what to do with it.
I would adopt her in a heartbeat.