View Single Post
Old 09-17-2022, 06:40 AM
TypewriterMice

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Quilt shows have a budget. Local shows sometimes hire judges that don’t have professional certificates. Most guilds are heavily traditional. Pretty and very detailed usually wins. Art is a genre all it’s own. One of my art quilts won a ribbon at Road to California. A comment was the interesting shape of the bottom border. At another local show it was critically judged for the simple background. Modern quilts often have open backgrounds to highlight quilting.

Professional judging is 90-95% technique. Only 5-10% goes to design. If it doesn’t lay flat, it’s out. If the corners of the binding aren’t stitched down, it’s out. To be acceptable it must be excellent quilt technique.

international shows have web sites with albums of winners. There are categories for art. Here’s some shows;
Road to California
Mancuso Festivals (there are several each year across the nation) In California it’s Pacific International Quilt Festival.
AQS (American Quilters Association)
SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Association) For art, this is good to be a member.
thank you so much!!!

so glad you posted - I was just looking at AQS because there is a show near me soon!! I think I will throw him up for that!! If you see the previous comment I replied to - that’s exactly my experience. It was so hurtful. It wasn’t about no ribbons- it was about finding out I was left in as an exception basically,and that may have been debated I guess, even when I followed all their rules and they had an “art” category!! It’s the only reason I entered. But then I guess there were unspoken rules about what they think is “art” 🙄