Old 06-26-2023, 02:51 PM
ElaineCovid

Default Quilter's Legacy question - what would you do?

Hello everyone - bit of a read here, but please bear with me, I really need some ideas/advice...
Last year an older friend who was a master quilter, with many years experience passed away.
She taught for many years as well. Like many of us, she had multiple machines, lots of fabric and supplies, a few UFO's.
Her husband wanted nothing to do with anything quilt related of hers, he didn't care what happened to her quilts or supplies or anything. He wanted the stuff gone ASAP.
Another friend and I cleaned out her sewing room, organized the fabrics, notions, machines etc and managed to sell much to most of this stuff to various other quilters. Her husband was pleased to receive the money, and he was pleased the room got cleaned out as he intended to make it a spare room.
None of her family (a couple sisters, a son, a step son, a few grandchildren etc) were equally disinterested in anything quilted of hers. She had given all of them many quilts, table runners, placemats etc over the years.
The main items remaining are her quilt log binders - this woman completed a page or two for every quilt she made with a picture of the finished quilt, samples of the fabrics, details of the quilt - size, who quilted it, who it was gifted to or sold to, how big etc. This was a very important thing to my friend, and she felt so many quilts were undocumented and lost to history.
Now, almost a year later, there are 20 binders filled with these records that no one wants. Initially we thought the family might want them after the dust settled a bit. That has not happened. We don't know what to do with them, and neither of us can keep them, as we don't have room to store them, and they really do not belong to us.

What can we do? It seems harsh to just throw them in the garbage....