Old 08-09-2023, 04:35 PM
WMUTeach

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Scraps really bug me. They make a mess of my sewing room and I just don't enjoy seeing them so I toss, with no guilt. I'd rather have my happy place be peaceful!
Ditto for me. I suspect that saving scrap and using scraps is unique to each of us. I get irritated and frustrated by piles of scraps that are not being used. Those feelings are greater than any guilt that I might feel. The guilt disappears when I walk into my sewing room and I can see what is there, have a clear space to enjoy my quilting. For me, anything smaller than 2.5" strip or square goes away. I tried saving and using scraps and strings this winter and making crumb blocks and I did not enjoy the process, too time consuming, and I didn't particularly like the end results.

Just so y'all don't think I am a wild wastrel, I keep a paper bag near my machine and when I have small scraps and cut offs from projects, I toss them in the bag. If a scrap can be cut into 2.5" squares or strips, it is a keeper. Those I use! One of my quilting friends makes dog beds. I did for a couple of years then said, "No more" when the SPCA had a room full of beds that had been donated. When I go to my monthly quilting work day, I take my bag along and give what ever scraps I have to my friend so she can make beds.